My days of moving and cleaning involve little reading but much listening, so I hope you’ll enjoy some links to interesting podcasts I’ve been into lately.
- Shouts & Murmurs: What Don Draper Was Thinking in the Final Minutes of Mad Men
- Eighteen Attempts to Write About Miscarriage, an essay by one of my favorite writers, Alice Bradley, that was nominated for a Pushcart (and that I somehow missed until now)
- Snap Judgment has shot to the top of my excitement chart when I log in to download new podcast episodes; I’ve been pondering this short story, Miniature Wife, for weeks
- On Being is an excellent podcast; recently Krista Tippett interviewed Maria Popova, the creative genius behind Brain Pickings
- The Longest Shortest Time, a podcast about parenting, is growing on me; try their recent episode, 65 Women and a Baby
- Design Matters with Debbie Millman is another long-running show I’ve only recently learned about; her interview last year with Dani Shapiro left me jotting many notes on my pad
- Dear Sugar Episode 12: The Wounded Child Within was one of my favorites so far
- Two difficult but important interviews with the same writer, Barry Estabrook, who just published a book called Pig Tales about how pigs are treated in America. I recommend listening to both interviews: Fresh Air and Splendid Table
- Another reason to look forward to moving to Atlanta is to sign up for a paper (yes, paper) newsletter featuring worthy restaurants; it is created by a French woman, who was interviewed for an episode of Gravy, the Southern Foodways Alliance podcast
- The One You Feed podcast featured an interview with Carol Dweck, a psychologist whose work I’ve been following since I read NurtureShock, about the growth versus fixed mindset.
- Has anyone watched the new Lily Tomlin & Jane Fonda show on Netflix? I haven’t seen it yet but am curious.
- Smitten Kitchen’s key lime pie (as in, the pie I mention constantly) was so easy to make and so delicious. I am feeling quite smug that I was somehow able to find the juice I grew up with, Nellie & Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice (I think I got it at Whole Foods, but here’s their store locator). The only thing that might have made it even better is if I had used these homemade graham crackers by Orangette.